Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wired captive portal pen-test

From: Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez <roman () rs-labs com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:42:05 +0200

Hey palako! :)

JosŽé M. Palazón Romero escribió:
I saw ARP requests coming from the router and asking for the MAC of several other IPs of the same segment where my laptop was connected (in my case, 192.168.9.x). I didn't catch any ARP responses...

You are not supposed to catch them. ARP requests ("Who is x.x.x.x? Tell yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy") are broadcasted, but replys ("x.x.x.x is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx") are not. The host with the IP will answer only to the host that generated the query.

You're right...

Beside that, I don't think they are filtering on the switches, keep us posted on your research.

About pentesting it, what are you interested in? If you want to escape the captive portal and get Internet for free, you might want to try:

http://thomer.com/icmptx/

or

http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html

Or this other amazing thing I discovered some weeks ago:

http://samy.pl/chownat/

I don't have the environment to test now, it's late. But at least other hotspot systems solve both (icmp is filtered and DNS traffic is limited by length so it's impractical to tunnel through dns). Next time I'll test the voip stuff, it seems interesting...

Thanks for the ideas to all.
-r