Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: How do VA scans work technically

From: "Tariq Naik" <Tariq_Naik () symantec com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:05:43 +0530

Yep you are correct when you say that none of them take unintended
advantage and a lot depends on how we define an exploit. In that since
nothing is exploited, but lot of signatures do break into the system in
certain ways using what we can put as intrusive reconnaissance eg. many
signatures that try to exploit certain vulnerabilities in web and ftp
servers to achieve directory traversal do actually attempt the directory
traversal. I have experience of Nessus brining down systems by
exploiting vulnerabilities. There are many signatures in the Nessus safe
check list also that can bring a server down.

True that most vulnerability scanner will try to find a vulnerability
with the least intrusive manner like sending a sequence of packets and
seeing the behavior but there is only so much that can be done by using
non intrusive methods. Nessus plug-in can be written to actually exploit
a vulnerability.

On the other hand we have shadow which as per my experience relies on
fingerprinting. It lists vulnerabilities after finding out the version
of the a certain daemon without actually checking whether the
vulnerability exists and hence gives very large amount of false
positives.

Tariq