Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wired captive portal pen-test

From: Roman Medina-Heigl Hernandez <roman () rs-labs com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:33:36 +0200

Sergio Castro escribió:
I've done similar voipsec audits at hotels. The hotel is very likely using a
switch-router (and very likely VLANs) so you will not be able to see any
other IPs on the network. What is your sniffer showing?

I saw ARP requests coming from the router and asking for the MAC of several other IPs of the same segment where my laptop was connected (in my case, 192.168.9.x). I didn't catch any ARP responses...

Another probe I did was walking to a "public computer" in the hotel (some kind of internet-kiosk) and get the IP. The IP was in the same 192.168.9.x range. I didn't have time to get its MAC and try to configure my laptop's NIC with that MAC (although the switch should probably stop that... shouldn't it?).

Another possible attack vector you may use is their IP phones. If the room
has an IP phone, try connecting your laptop to the phone's RJ45 and do a
packet sniff. I've been able to access entire corporate LANs doing this.

I didn't have a look at this... although I'd guess it was rj-11... Next time I'll check it! :)

--

Saludos,
-Roman

PGP Fingerprint:
09BB EFCD 21ED 4E79 25FB  29E1 E47F 8A7D EAD5 6742
[Key ID: 0xEAD56742. Available at KeyServ]