Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Home-Banking PEN-TESTING

From: Ben Lull <blull () VALLEYLOCAL COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:02:40 -0700

I haven't been following this thread to much, but in response to Christopher's
and Rafael Conick's E-Mails...

Christopher Laycock wrote:

IMHO: The bank should warn people not to store their password in the Cache
of their web browser.  This would stop some attacks, although they shouldn't
be responsible for Keystroke logs.  Most of the problems would be solved if
the user had a long password and was asked for random characters from it
e.g..
"Please enter the 3rd, 26th, 38th, 41st and 107th character's of your
password" and setting it so that only logging on and off will change the
characters required.  AFAIK this system is used by some banks over the phone
but not over the net.

    If the banking is done via http, the bank is responsibly for the security
because it should all be handled on their side.  Cookies should simply identify
that the machine accessing the page is allowed to or not.. It should contain a
user name or password (encrypted or not).  This way people who just try to
access it, can not with out having a correct cookie (the cookie could be
something such as a hash'ed md5sum of the person's username + social security
+ bank number... stuff that people should not have.  All authentication should
be done via SSL using username/password authentication.  The username and
password should both be linked to the cookie on the clients browser thus only
allowing login to there single account from there single machine.  This will
defeat all problems with caching and cookies...

    Since the banking is being done via http, they are not responsible for the
end users security UNLESS anything they place on the users system can be used
to gain unprivileged access.  If they were to (a username/password in a
cookie), they should be held responsible.

    If the banking is done via custom software, the software which is created
should take extra measures of security.  The persons password should not be
stored locally, but remotely.  The software itself should not contain
vulnerabilities such as Stack/Heap/String Format Validation.  Extra caution
should be taken with creation of the software (canary's, a completely non-exec
stack).  All communications should be encrypted and verification that input is
coming from the attached keyboard.  It really wouldn't be to difficult to
create a secure banking environment weather its using customer software
supplied by the bank, or via http access.