Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Home-Banking PEN-TESTING

From: "Tonick, Mike" <Mike.Tonick () PS NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:14:08 -0500

Rafeal,

The bank is not responsible for securing their customer's machines, as there
may be pre-existing vulnerabilities that the customer has introduced.
However, if the bank is aware of a vulnerability, introduced by their client
based software, then they have an obligation to notify their clients
immediately, and to correct the problem, either with a patch - if the
problem is serious enough, or at the next scheduled release of software,
whichever can be accomplished first.

What you have described is the main issue with installing and maintaining
client based software, and why it is sometimes avoided wherever possible.

You cannot force your client into doing the right thing.  Your
responsibility is to document the issue.  Describe the vulnerability,
describe how it may be manipulated, and list the names of those whom you
have made aware of the issue.  Make sure your documentation of the
vulnerability is distributed to the responsible parties, at the bank, and to
your internal management.  If there is a master account file maintained by
your company, you should make sure your documentation of the vulnerability
is filed for safekeeping.

Regards,

Michael D. Tonick, CISSP
Senior Security Consultant