PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: ideas needed

From: CP Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:00:34 -0400

On 7/15/2011 3:17 AM, Bert Van Kets wrote:
I'm looking for good examples where children put information on line
that can be used for malicious purposes be it on a site, e-mail, chat or
otherwise.

The usual stuff (enabling people to locate where they live, movement patterns, etc etc the usual stalking/kidnapping stuff) can probably be fairly easy to demonstrate... if you want fun, get into some of the more identity-theft based stuff.

Quick example: How many parents are using "what is your original hometown" as a recovery question somewhere, thinking that info isn't public; while their teenage kids are mentioning it in their facebook bios, etc.

if you really want to blow their minds, demonstrate how merely their relational data is of use (just because they don't mention what school they go to, doesn't mean I can't figure it out in five minutes by looking through their friends, of friends).

Finally, give them an idea of consumer-targetted malware profiling. if I've got a list of folks that list "Justin Bieber" and their email addresses on a public profile, I know how I'm going to craft my phishing email.

As a general rule for how much info to share, I always say "less than the people around you" for a rough watermark.

A good exercise for kids is sort of a re-work of the 1980's dont-talk-to-strangers campaign. (which was basically, no matter how much info they have that indicates they actually know you, still deny trust). is getting kids to ask themselves, how much info about them would a stranger have to know about them, before they might think this person was actually a trusted family friend:- now put much less than that online.