PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Re: password changed on hotmail address

From: Neusbeer <neusbeer () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 22:18:56 +0200

Op 11-7-2011 22:02, Ryan Corcoran schreef:

Since it is a hotmail email account you will have to go though them. There is no legal way to do it yourself.

On Jul 11, 2011 12:44 PM, "Bert Van Kets" <mailing () vankets com <mailto:mailing () vankets com>> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> a customer of mine, who runs a shop, just dismissed an employee. Just
> before leaving, the employee changed the password of the hotmail e-mail
> address used by the shop. The owner of the shop asked me to retrieve the
> password or at least to make sure the e-mail address is rendered inoperable.
>
> The e-mail address contains the name of the shop and not a person's
> name. It is clearly to be used by the shop. The request to recover the
> password comes from the legal owner of the shop.
>
> As I'm very new in the InfoSec world I'd like to get advise from the
> experts (yeah, that you lot).
> - Where can I get a template for a document I can have the customer sign
> to allow me to hack the hotmail address?
> - What is the best way to recover the hotmail e-mail password?
> - Is there a way to render the e-mail address inoperable?
> - Any other advise?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bert
Getting the customer signed a paper isn't enough.
Trying to hack a e-mail adres (even it's legaly yours) it would be a 'crime' against hotmail. And it's nearly impossible. after few bruteforce tries the account is suspended.
(So that can be a good way to disable the e-mail adres though)

If it's a big big problem.. then go to the authorities and sew him.
but I think it's gonna be hard to get a case.

Or try calling hotmail customer servicedesk.. I heard stories about people who where getting
there accounts back..