PaulDotCom mailing list archives

That degrees do you have?

From: jason.lee.jones at gmail.com (Jason Jones)
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 19:33:45 -0500

I have a bachelors in CS, did all the coursework for my masters in CS at
iowa statebut quit when my thesis was tanking and i couldn't find a prof to
fund me and i ran out of $$  :-/ found the InfAs profs there to not be very
good at teaching & keeping up with new things that were going on. most of my
security / network knowledge has come from self learning & learning from the
network & security guys at the universities b/c they seemed to be able to
better explain what it was like to be in the trenches every day than the
profs who read to me from an old textbook ;-)

Recently entertained going back to try and do masters in InfAs/InfoSec but
it seems that most of the good schools that offer online are fairly
expensive. I've looked at JMU (the GRM n00bs went/go there) but $700+ per
credit hr (= $2100+ per course) is really hard for me to  pay out of pocket
(or even justify more student loans for...) and my boss would rather me not
get an education that would give me a better opportunity to switch to a
career i would enjoy more so there's no chance he would pay...

anyone have other online masters infas/infosec degree recommendations
besides whats already been mentioned?

thanks!
-Jason