PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CTF and other events in the UK?

From: lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk (lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:53:17 +0100

Hi all,

Working in the IT industry, I'm well aware that computer security is a
world-wide problem, however I'm having real issues finding other
people in the UK that are interested in events like Capture the Flag
and security conferences.

Most of the security conferences I've attended over here are really
glorified sales pitches from the primary sponsor along with loads of
other companies guaranteing to "secure 100% of your data for ever and
never get hacked in your life whilst your one of our customers for
less money than you might think" and other such quackery. [0]

Is anyone else on the list in the UK?  If so, have I missed an entire
sub-culture or is it just not british to talk about the fact that
people get hacked? :)

Cheers,

M.

[0] If you value your data, you shouldn't need to secure it for "less
than you think", you should be willing to pay what ever you have to
IMHO... :P