PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CTF and other events in the UK?

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:29:37 +0100

2009/7/30  <lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk>:
Hi all,

Working in the IT industry, I'm well aware that computer security is a
world-wide problem, however I'm having real issues finding other
people in the UK that are interested in events like Capture the Flag
and security conferences.

Most of the security conferences I've attended over here are really
glorified sales pitches from the primary sponsor along with loads of
other companies guaranteing to "secure 100% of your data for ever and
never get hacked in your life whilst your one of our customers for
less money than you might think" and other such quackery. [0]

Is anyone else on the list in the UK? ?If so, have I missed an entire
sub-culture or is it just not british to talk about the fact that
people get hacked? :)

I'm in the UK and there used to be two conferences, Brumcon and DNScon
both of which have folded as far as I know.

I'd love to have a Shmoocon style event over here and would be happy
to help organise as long as someone else actually tells me what needs
doing.

We had a really good Hak5 meet up a couple of years back where we did
a load of techie stuff, last year it was in Germany and this year I
didn't get to it.

Robin