Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:44:00 +1000

Hi folks

I signed up to this mailing list to contribute to the "Not a valid win32 application" error that occurs with the latest nmap on XP.

The problem is the PE header is marked with SUBSYSTEM 6.0, which means Vista or later. For XP, the linker command line needs to have: /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01

If nmap is built with Visual Studio 2013 (which I think it is since it links with MSVCR120), the right way to build for XP is to select "x120_xp" for the Platform Toolset.

I hope nmap continues to support XP. It's an important platform that lots of people still use (including myself).

Regards
-richard browne