Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:38:52 -0700

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au>
wrote:

Yes it’s true that setting v120_xp switches to the older Windows SDK. But
it’s not the case that the “newer API” has bug fixes. The Windows SDK is
basically just a huge collection of header files. The WIN32 API is baked
into Windows. So no matter what SDK you use, your exe still calls the same
functions exported from KERNEL32.dll for example. The newer SDK merely has
new stuff in the headers (eg. function declarations).

That's good to know!

Fair enough. But right now, supporting XPsp3 is trivial. Why not wait until
there is an actual reason to stop support. That is my humble opinion.

OK, I'll see if we can easily enable it again for the 6.49BETA5 release.  I
don't have anything against XP, but I just don't want to spend much effort
supporting a platform that even Microsoft ceased support for long ago.

I am an experienced Windows developer and I would be happy to help if
needed.

Thanks!

-Fyodor