Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: "James M. Scardelis, CISA, CIPP, CIPP/IT, MCT, MCSE, CTT+" <jim () jceltd com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 00:50:15 +0000

That’s correct. Setting v120_xp forces the use of old headers, libraries and a subset of the tools that were in the old
Windows SDK 7.1. Its use is not recommended, especially now that Windows XP is not a supported platform, and looking
forward, many of its APIs etc. will be deprecated. You should only use this flag when specifically compiling versions
intended to be down-level applications.

From
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/10/18/visual-studio-2013-and-windows-8-1-sdk-rtm-are-now-available.aspx :

Windows XP developers: as with VS 2012, the "v120_xp" platform toolset in VS 2013 uses a version of the Windows 7.1
SDK, not Windows 8.x SDK. See Visual Studio 2012 Update
1<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/11/26/visual-studio-2012-update-1.aspx>.

Also note that Windows 10 GA is next week, and Visual Studio 2015 was released this past Monday. The SDK for Windows 10
will be released on July 29th along with Windows 10.
See
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2015/07/20/visual-studio-2015-and-visual-studio-2013-update-5-released.aspx

        [cid:image002.png@01D0C4A6.DC8344F0]

Jim Scardelis, CISA|QSA|PA-QSA|PCIP|CIPP/US|CIPP/C|CIPP/E|CIPP/IT|MCT|MCSE|MTA|CTT+

Senior Security Consultant, Trustwave
• +1 (425) 296-6092 | | • jim () jceltd com<mailto:jim () jceltd com>  |þ http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimscard/
Any views or opinions contained in this communication are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily represent
those of Trustwave, or any other organizations or entities the author may be associated with.