Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:38:11 -0700

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Richard Browne <richard () timestone com au>
wrote:

 Hi folks

I signed up to this mailing list to contribute to the "Not a valid win32
application" error that occurs with the latest nmap on XP.

The problem is the PE header is marked with SUBSYSTEM 6.0, which means
Vista or later. For XP, the linker command line needs to have:
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01

If nmap is built with Visual Studio 2013 (which I think it is since it
links with MSVCR120), the right way to build for XP is to select "x120_xp"
for the Platform Toolset.

Thanks for the details.  I think if you or someone else writes up
instructions for compiling the latest Nmap using Visual C++ Express to
support XP, that would be useful for all the XP users and might help us
potentially make an XP-compatible installer if there is enough demand.

I hope nmap continues to support XP. It's an important platform that lots
of people still use (including myself).

For what it's worth, here are the version stats for Windows users browsing
Nmap.org in the last month (from Google Analytics):

63.96% Windows 7
25.68% Windows 8.1
  4.68% Windows XP
  2.90% Windows 8
  1.56% Windows NT
  0.78% Windows Vista
  0.43% Windows Server 2003
  0.01% Windows 2000

I'm not sure where Windows Server 2008/2012 are.

And while we're looking at stats, here are the overall OS versions from
folks browsing the site:

70.68% Windows
13.02% Linux
10.20% Macintosh