Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:15:08 -0700

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:29:38PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:

Yes, it would be great to finally have this.  I have another idea which isn't
totally dependent on this but would be go with it quite nicely.  I don't
recall it being brought up before: remove the -6 option and allow mixed IPv4
and IPv6 scanning in one session.  Split host batches up between the two just
like is already done for directly-connected hosts and not.  Sure there is more
to it than that with all of o.af() stuff going on and with target parsing, but
you get the gist of it.  This would be awesome.

I think that could work well if we only specified IP/IPv6 addresses,
but it might be a bit problematic with hostnames.  If someone
specifies just "nmap www.kame.net", should Nmap look up and scan the A
record (203.178.141.194), thie IPv6 (AAAA) record
(2001:200:0:8002:203:47ff:fea5:3085), or both?  Right now there is no
ambiguity since Nmap does IPv6 IFF -6 was specified.  But admittedly
it is annoying when I type a command like "nmap
2001:200:0:8002:203:47ff:fea5:3085" and then it fails because I forgot
-6.

Admittedly that is similar to the issue of hosts with multiple records
of the same type.  Like if you scan www.google.com, Nmap sort of punts
on the issue and says:

Hostname www.google.com resolves to 6 IPs. Only scanned 74.125.19.147

In that case, it might be nicer for Nmap to scan all 6 IPs.  But then
what if someone specified www.google.com/24?  Should Nmap scan 256*6
IPs?  Should it have to merge them to handle duplicates if some of the
6 fall in the same /24?  Also, that would mean that Nmap and the Nmap
user don't know how many hosts will be scanned from a command-line
until DNS queries are done.

I don't know what the best answers are for these issues ...

Cheers,
-F