Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas?

From: Chip Panarchy <forumanarchy () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:15:03 +1100

Progress status bar &/or estimated time of scan completion

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel () roe ch> wrote:
Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> 2010-03-13:
Hi Folks.  It is that time of the year again for the Summer of Code!
I filled out the Google application yesterday.  Given that Nmap has
been accepted for all five previous Summers of Code, chances are that
we'll be accepted again.  But that is only the very beginning!  The
most important work right now is identifying the projects we want
accomplished this summer.  I already have some ideas, which I've
posted here:

http://nmap.org/soc/

That page has all the details, but here is a summary of the projects:

o Nmap Scripting Engine--Script Developer
o Nmap Cloud Scanning Platform
o Zenmap GUI Developer
o Feature Creepers and Bug Wranglers
o Nmap and Zenmap on Mobile Devices (iPhone, Android, Maemo, etc.)
o Nmap Scripting Engine--Infrastructure manager
o Ncrack Developer
o Nping Developer

Those are all well and good, but I'd love to hear from the community
where you would like Nmap to go! [...]

It's already part of the Feature Creepers and Bug Wranglers
description, but I'd prioritize full IPv6 support for all scan
types, which AFAIR includes IPv6 raw socket portability issues.
Also, it might make sense to think of clever ways to guess used
IPv6 addresses within a network, since with IPv6, exhaustive
scanning of networks is infeasible.

--
Daniel Roethlisberger
http://daniel.roe.ch/