Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas? (progress estimates)

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:29:43 -0500

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:11:08 -0600 David Fifield
<david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
I wasn't able to make an improvement in this despite trying. My page
on it is http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/CompletionTimeEstimates.

Things that make this hard for Nmap are the fact that the scanning
rate is not constant (speeds up and slows down for congestion
control, so you have to filter the signal, but how much?), that the
completion percentage at any instant is only an estimate (though it
is pretty close in the case of a port scan), and that the completion
percentage may decrease instantaneously when the retry counter
increases.

Bram Cohen has said it's "non-trivial." And that's for estimating
download time, which is probably easier than what Nmap is doing. There
are some ideas here though:
http://bramcohen.livejournal.com/24122.html.

You could measure the goodness of an estimation algorithm after the
fact. If you have a sequence of N + 1 e (estimated) and a (actual)
values, taken at times t[0..N], take the sum from i = 1 to N of
(t[i] - t[i - 1]) * (e(t[i]) - a(t[i])^2 and divide by t[N] - t[0].

David Fifield

We went through something like this at work on an app that takes potentially hours to run. We discovered it was just as
good to have something spinning or colourful to let the user know that something was happening. The actual time didn't
really matter, just feedback that something was going on. :)

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org