Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas? Interactivity/phase cancellation

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:18:32 -0600

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:00:22AM -0500, Ron wrote:
That remind me of something else I was thinking of.

o More interactive options during the scan (like d/D for debug, etc) -- options for raising the min-rate/max-rate and
other timing options would be handy.

You just reminded me of something too. I want an interactive button to
stop the current scan phase (port scan, service scan, etc.) and move on
to the next. It would be like Ctrl-C but only apply to the current
phase. So if you find out that one host is dragging down service scan,
for example, you could just kill it after the other hosts have
completed. You wouldn't have to restart the whole scan without -sV, and
the other hosts would still have service scan results.

This could be simulated by instantly fill up the host timeout of all
uncompleted hosts. It would be better, though, if it would still display
partial information for the hosts that got skipped (i.e., just omit the
service information), and permit those hosts to participate in later
scan phases.

I'm calling this "phase cancellation" because that has a totally
unrelated meaning in other technical contexts.

David Fifield