Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Status Report #1 of 17

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 22:16:08 +0300

Hello nmap-dev.

For those of you who don't already know/remember me, I am ithilgore of sock-raw.org
and will be working on Nmap this SoC.

Below follows the first status report:

Status report #1 of 17

Accomplishments:

* Studied part of Ncat code and reviewed http.c (still haven't finished auditing)
* Committed 3 minor Ncat patches
* Uploaded a wiki on my site: http://sock-raw.org/wiki where I will be posting updates and notes on Nmap
* Started studying the nsock library and documented some things at http://sock-raw.org/wiki/Nmap/Nsock
* Refreshed mem on some things from UNP vol 1 (socket options etc)
* Created my own svn branch at svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/ithilgore/nmap-test

Priorities:

* Discuss tomorrow with Fyodor about the authentication cracking SoC project.
* Read the essential parts of SVN book.
* Experiment with nsock library - write my own test programs and specifically play with *many* sockets.
* Study service_scan.cc, take notes and see how nsock is used there. Other candidates are nmap_dns.cc and NSE
* Study thc-hydra source code, get ideas and note down its flaws/problems so that they are not repeated.
* See how the Nmap congestion-avoidance algorithms can be integrated into the new project, since they will really make
a difference there.

I didn't mention things like compiling Nmap, subscribing to nmap-dev etc or reading the Nmap book since these
had already been done before.

-- ithilgore