nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Jack Bates <jbates () paradoxnetworks net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 17:25:41 -0600

On 2/27/2015 5:09 PM, Måns Nilsson wrote:
What people want, at least once thay have tasted it, is optical last mile. And not that PON shit. The real stuff or bust.

Yeah. Then they complain when a tornado wipes out their power and they can't make a phone call.

It's a real world. Things are not always what we want. I'm sorry, but while I could afford the tens of thousands of dollars to run power one mile to my house, I will not be seeing fiber anytime soon. As much as I hate it, looks like wireless point to point for awhile. :(

Thinking of HAM radio to perhaps get help if things get really bad.

Let's be honest, it would be nice to utilize wasted download
frequency to send something quicker.
Any access technology with less than 1Gbit symmetrical bandwidth is
20th century. Doing greenfield with that is plainly stupid. There
is business to be made from smaller upgrades to copper that is in place,
but as soon as you dig (or set new poles in the ground), fiber is the
only real alternative.

It's hard to get DSL in some places in the country. Fiber? ha!

Jack