nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Daniel Taylor <dtaylor () vocalabs com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:05:24 -0600

On 02/27/2015 02:53 PM, Scott Helms wrote:
"My point is that the option should be there, at the consumer level."

Why? What's magical about symmetry? Is a customer better served by having a 5mbps/5mbps over a 25mbps/5mbps?

Why not 25/25?

50MB/s might be tough to fill, but even at home I can get good use out of the odd 25MB/s upstream burst for a few minutes.

"There are so many use cases for this, everything from personal game servers to on-line backups, that the lack of such offerings is an indication of an unhealthy market."

Until we get NAT out of the way, this is actually much harder to leverage than you might think. I don't think there is anything special about symmetrical bandwidth, I do think upstream bandwidth usage is going up and will continue to go up, but I don't see any evidence in actual performance stats or customers sentiment to show that it's going up as fast as downstream demand.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000