nanog mailing list archives

Re: Production-scale NAT64

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 15:16:57 +1000

In message <20150827065346.58554fa7 () echo ms redpill-linpro com>, Tore Anderson
writes:
Hi Mark,

* Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>

In our deployment, we do not offer customers private IPv4 addresses. I
suppose we can afford to do this because a) we still have lots of
public IPv4, b) we are not a mobile carrier. So any of our customers
with IPv4 will never hit the NAT64 gateway.

When we do run out of public IPv4 addresses (and cannot get anymore
from AFRINIC), all new customers will be assigned IPv6 addresses.

Why wait until then?

Any particular reason why you cannot already today provide IPv6
addresses to your [new] customers in parallel with IPv4?

Tore

Or why you are looking at NAT64 instead of DS-Lite, MAP-E, or MAP-T
all of which are better solutions than NAT64.  NAT64 + DNS64 which
breaks DNSSEC.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org