nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 13:58:14 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

End user authentication and management typically being done via PPPoE because that was the best and most secure way to manage customer connections (for some operators, still is).

Why do you need to authenticate the customer? Don't your documentation system know the port/subscriber mapping? And why is this secure, instead of being tied to a physical connection the customer can now take the credentials and move? If the credentials are stolen, someone else can impersonate that customer.

By DHCP I mean an alternative to PPPoE-based authentication where Option 82 and friends can allow service providers to authenticate customers based on AN port, MAC address, VLAN ID, e.t.c., instead of username/password a la PPPoE. This gets passed as part of initial DHCP transactions.

This worked 10 years ago, it's nothing recent.

Rethinking your comment (because I thought you meant DHCP as the way to go for subscriber management when you debunked PPPoE) I'm guessing you refer to simply assigning IP addresses to customer interfaces in FTTH scenarios? No?

Yes? Since option 82 and friends gives you what port the DHCP request came in on, you now log IP/MAC connected to a port, and since you know to what apartment/house this port is physically connected to, nothing more is needed.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se