nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 13:29:40 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

The models I listed are typical to an operator that runs its own infrastructure (including the FTTH last mile), and does not necessarily wholesale out to other operators.

I disagree on that one as well. It might be in some markets, but it's not in all.

I've seen certain countries that have given the incumbents leeway to wholesale at the IP level, which the incumbent likes because they "perceive" more control than if they had to hand-off Layer 2 wholesale. In such cases, VRF's and/or logical routers have been deployed.

This wasn't incumbents specifically, but just a different model to achieve the same thing, give end users access to multiple ISPs, multiple "cable TV" vendors, and multiple VOIP providers through a neutral network.

Agree. DHCP really is the way to go, now. Plus, there is good support for IPv6 with vendors today re: DHCP-based subscriber management.

What do you mean by subscriber management? This worked 10 years ago, what problem are you saying has been solved recently?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se