nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:52:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

You do not want the incumbent/wholesaler to perform DHCP. This is a HUGE headache. We have that in Canada for cable wholesale (TPIA). The incumbent has to micromanage each ISPs IP blocks and carve subnets for each CMTS (for cable).

You could have the wholesaler do DHCP inspection and antispoofing etc based on that, but not actually do the DHCP servering.

For as much as everyone hates PPPoE, it makes for managememnt of a wholesale systems much much easier.

FTTH is supposed to be for higher speeds, putting PPPoE in there makes it a lot more expensive than it has to be.

Ideally, there would be some protocol where the CPE would setup a layer 2 SVC to the ISP, after which the ISP can provide DHCP services etc.

I don't see that needed, doesn't the wholesaler already know what port has chosen what ISP and can set up L2 to that ISP?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se