nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:17:42 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

Or do something bold, run L3 at the edge :)

BNG's are too big to distributed that deeply, even in
distributed BNG designs. This would get costly.

You don't need a BNG. You need an L3 switch as the first hop the customer is talking to.

Cheap switches that have decent IP/MPLS support are mostly geared toward Metro-E deployments, i.e., business-grade services. So they are quite poor with regard to susbcriber management features and capabilities.

If you have L3-in-vlan-per-customer at the first hop then you don't really need all of that. If you include rudimentary VRF support then you can even support wholesale. /64 per customer, DHCPv6(-PD) server support in the L3 switch and you're good to go. There is equipment that already claim to do this (I never got to test their implementation based on my requirements because I switched jobs, but they claimed to have implemented everything last year).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se