nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using twitter as an outage notification

From: Chris Hills <chaz () chaz6 com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 17:22:04 +0200

On 04/07/09 17:07, Roland Perry wrote:
That's the kind of "marketing-led" response I was hoping to hear.

But the UK National Rail system now uses Tweets to tell customers about
disruptions on the trains, and several major UK government departments
and news organisations use it for announcements and "Breaking News".

So has it become "respectable" yet?

When there are open-source equivalents available (e.g. Laconica, OpenMicroBlogger - both of which incidentally are compatible since they are based upon the OMB spec), I do wonder why a commercial or government entity would use a closed-source, non-domestic service.