nanog mailing list archives

Using twitter as an outage notification (was: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle)

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:17:49 +0100

In article <786BA8C0-B534-40FF-9126-1E33BD11CB3C () americafree tv>, Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv> writes
That's a great idea, use some lame Web 2.0 trend to communicate with
actual real life customers. </sarcasm>

I would assume they figured it was better than just remaining silent.

I'm about to recommend to an organisation that it [a twitter account] is better than posting news of an outage on their low-volume website, which will get swamped when too many people poll it for news.

What does the team think?

Paying a lot more to host the website with higher "burst" capacity during an emergency, isn't an option.

The only other idea I've had is to sign all the customers up to receive an SMS via some sort of broadcast service (the news will fit easily in one SMS).
--
Roland Perry