nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 19:23:20 -0400

On Jul 3, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

That's a great idea, use some lame Web 2.0 trend to communicate with
actual real life customers. </sarcasm>

I would assume they figured it was better than just remaining silent.

Regards
Marshall

Jeff

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Marshall Eubanks<tme () americafree tv> wrote:

On Jul 3, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Ben Carleton wrote:

Yes it was.

On Jul 3, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

Wasn't Authorize.net affected by this? We received a support ticket
about why Authorize.net is down today (I don't know either, I don't
ask too many questions).

Authorize.net was for a while completely off the air, and companies that
relied upon them
were not getting credit card authorizations (and, thus, no ecommerce). I
think it is still only
partially functional.

Authorize.net has been communicating with customers mostly (entirely ?) with
twitter - they are

@AuthorizeNet with a hash tab of #authorizenet

If you go there, you will see a lot of status messages like

#authorizenet (cont.) Do not manually submit ARB transactions b/c you run
the risk of your merchants being double billed.
10 minutes ago from web

(i.e., 4:47 EDT).

You will also see a lot of posts from annoyed people if you search on
#authorizenet

It's an interesting use of Web 2.0 for emergency communications.

Regards
Marshall

Jeff