nanog mailing list archives

RE: Fire, Power loss at Fisher Plaza in Seattle

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 10:20:35 -0700

This begs the question of what basic parameters should be for a "carrier
hotel" or co-lo.

Given that we're getting designated "Critical Infrastructure", we'd
getter start coming up with some, or we'll have them defined for us.

The old NEBS standards were too much of a straightjacket, but the
current situation, where any buffoon who wants to can claim to be
something they aren't (redundant and reliable) undermines the business
of those who actually spend the money, and make the effort, to provide a
true "carrier grade" co-lo.

This is life in the current Internet: Overpromise, and Underdeliver.