nanog mailing list archives

Re: The real issue

From: Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:53:39 -0600

Shane Ronan wrote:
Very simple, just do it.

Ha! We have some legacy IP space in continous use here at ASN13345 for over 12 years now that was recently "revoked" for a few weeks (only to be later restored via a transfer once the exact definition of "ownership" in a member-owned cooperative was hammered out).

Guess what stopped working in the interim? Well the whois records were gone and our abuse desk probably had a tiny decrease in complaints as a result. In some quarters that might be seen as a blessing, but we view abuse reports as cries for help from infected hosts that will become larger service outages if not addressed.

Also the in-addr services went away, affecting about a half dozen mail servers out of several thousand hosts in the "revoked" delegation. We did not receive one single call or complaint about connectivity in that duration apart from the in-addr loss, and those customers were offered smart host use or replacement IPs for the duration. The ones who chose the smart host continued to use the "revoked" IP space without problem after that.

The Internet's greatest strength and greatest weakness is the lack of a central authority who can "just do it". I for one am happy it is that way. It's part of what makes us an *autonomous* system, sovereign of our own little kingdom.

Mike