nanog mailing list archives

RE: Port scanning legal

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:08:41 -0800

I've pinged IP addrs that I later found out were MIL addrs. Nothing
happened. Duh!

There are a LOT of IP addrs that aren't in the DNS. How is one to know? I
don't know about you, but I flunked telepathy in High School and did worse
in clarvoyance. In fact, psionics wasn't wasn't something I was generally
good at. That's why I went into engineering.

Could it be, that is why ping and traceroute were invented?

The argument against port-scanning applies equally well to just about every
diagnostic tool we use. Be careful what you wish for, we might all get stuck
with it. Then, where would we be?