nanog mailing list archives

RE: Port scanning legal

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:30:06 -0800

From: Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:smb () research att com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 2:23 PM

Thanks for re-quoting this ...

In message
<Pine.LNX.4.30.0012190930530.27364-100000@labyrinth.local>, "Edward
S. Marshall" writes:

http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/article.html?id=126

This may have ramifications for both security professionals
and abuse desk
personnel; this ruling would seem to make it clear that you
cannot claim
time spent investigating abuse issues as damage. The
complete finding is
here:

   http://pub.bna.com/eclr/00434.htm

Any armchair lawyers on the list want to take a crack at this?

After reading the specifics I could find. It would seem that you could bill
for the investigation only AFTER there has been a break-in. Bad analogies
aside, a port scan isn't a break-in, by any stretch of the imagination.
Therefore, on its own, it's not billable. However, if a break-in has been
proven, time spent on the investigation, before-hand, becomes billable.

--
IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer. Before taking action on anything I say, you are
encouraged to seek legal advice.