nanog mailing list archives

Re: NSI policy on lame delagations

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:20:28 -0800 (PST)

FWIW, Msen has been blasting the NIC with phone calls and faxes
as we find lame delegations.  In several instances, these are domains
that registered to use us without our permission and in some of them,
its a spamming domain.

i figure it just adds to the nic's overload.  so, when i find a domain
which has been lamely delegated to one of my servers, i just put in an
authoritative zone for it with a short ttl soa and a wildcard mx

*    MX  0 some.schmuck.lame.delegated.to.the.host.name.

or the analogous PTR for in-addr zones.

it immediately stops any overload on my server and usually gets fixed
fairly quickly, no muss no fuss.

randy