Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:36:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Johan Ovlinger <johan () ccs neu edu>
Date: February 10, 2010 3:50:05 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

*From:* Roger Dannenberg <rbd () cs cmu edu <mailto:rbd () cs cmu edu>>
*Date:* February 10, 2010 3:15:12 PM EST
*To:* <mailto:dave () farber net>dave () farber net <mailto:dave () farber net>
*Cc:* ip <ip () v2 listbox com <mailto:ip () v2 listbox com>>, <mailto:adikamdar () gmail com>adikamdar () gmail com
<mailto:adikamdar () gmail com>
*Subject:* *Re: [IP] Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail*

[for IP if you wish]

I don't want to name names, but the Gmail license agreement is used by a distinguished law professor in his class as
an example of something you should stay away from.

Google sells a search appliance that companies can buy to index their internal web without exposing it to either google
or the internet at large.

I would have thought that something similar applied to institution-wide gmail deployments (which apparently run ~ $50
per person [1]).  The paid deployments might have different licenses.

-- johan

[1] http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/004161.php