Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:44:27 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Date: February 11, 2010 8:07:17 AM EST
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

One thing that occurred to me about this issue given the terms of service:

If I send an email to someone with a gmail account, does Google have the rights to the information in that email?  I
haven't agreed to their terms of service.  And strictly speaking I haven't posted mail with gmail.

On the other hand, should the person I sent the email to then reply to my email, leaving the full text of my message as
part of his reply (a very common practice), they *are* posting mail under the terms of service and does Google now own
the content of my mail?

Take care,
John