Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Good read Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:35:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Wendy M. Grossman" <wendyg () pelicancrossing net>
Date: February 10, 2010 3:59:45 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] re Yale switching to Google Apps / Gmail

(For IP if you wish)

I looked into this a bit in December 2008 while I was writing a report for (several layers up the food chain) a British
govt agency outlining the business case for switching to Webmail. What I learned:

- the standard Gmail license claims all intellectual property in everything posted to the service. Many universities
are concerned about this and some ban their research staff from using Gmail as a result.

- however, universities can and do negotiate different ToS when Gmail/Hotmail is taking over their email provision. So
at least some universities feel that signing up with Gmail/Hotmail is a *better* situation than the one they're in now,
where profs and students forward stuff to their (consumer) Gmail/Hotmail accounts from their university accounts
despite being told they shouldn't do this.

Some comments from the University of Westminster (scroll to end of page) about the risks:
http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-16541

- universities and other educational systems are going for Hotmail/Gmail in droves because of the massive cost savings
coupled with the ability to give their staff/students far better service (and service that said staff and students are
used to at home). Even Cornell, one of the email pioneers, has now switched and is offering students their choice of
Hotmail or Gmail.

- Rebecca Gould and Elizabeth Unger of Kansas State University, have argued (I think persuasively) that the most
logical course is for universities to get out of the business of offering students email. They suggest limiting it to
staff, and giving students access to a secure portal instead.
http://connect.educause.edu/Library/EDUCAUSE+Review/ASolutionLookingforaProbl/46614?time=1227745742

wg
www.pelicancrossing.net

Wonder who?  Djf Begin forwarded message: