Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Google Gaffe: Gmail Outage Shows Pitfalls of Online Services

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:35:05 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Date: February 27, 2009 5:25:29 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "ip" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "John Shoch" <shoch () alloyventures com>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: Google Gaffe: Gmail Outage Shows Pitfalls of Online Services

Dave,

So, the email below casually suggests that Google has a 99.9% SLA for paying customers.....

And there is a report that Google extended a 15-day service credit to Premier users because of the recent outage of GMail; good for Google.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10172023-2.html

But, I'm a curious guy, and I wondered how this SLA was designed to work.

a.  The link below points to the Google Apps Premier Edition Agreement.
This 16 page document does not actually include an SLA; it does state that "Google warrants that it will provide the Services in accordance with the applicable SLA."
In the Definitions, "SLA" then points to another document at:
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/sla.html

b. This is the "Google Apps Service Level Agreement," where we learn some interesting things:

b1: The Monthly Uptime Percentage is defined in terms of the outages suffered from all Downtime Periods. b2. A "Downtime Period" is "a period of ten consecutive minutes of Downtime. Intermittent Downtime for a period of less then 10 minutes will not be counted towards any Downtime Period. [So if the system is down for 5 minutes and then up for five minutes, all day, none of it counts as down.] b3. Furthermore, Downtime is defined as when "there is more then a 5 percent user error rate. Downtime is measured based on server side error rate." b4. Oh, by the way, what do you get if you can demonstrate that the SLA was breached? Extra free days of Service Credit. b5. Finally, "Customer Must Request Service Credit. In order to receive any of the Service Credits described above, Customer must notify Google within thirty days from the time Customer becomes eligible to receive a Service Credit. Failure to comply with this requirement will forfeit Customer's right to receive a Service Credit."

So now I am really curious: does any customer of the Premier Edition actually have a tool that would tell him if the "server side error rate" is over 5% for 10 consecutive minutes? How many Premier Edition customers would have the tools to actually make a claim for the recent outage? Was it worth paying for the SLA?

I'm not suggesting that any of this is "wrong," but it is interesting to see the details of how a "99.9% SLA" actually works..... Now, please don't mis-understand: I suspect that Google and GMail have some of the best availability numbers in the industry. And the SLA may be a good proxy or advertisement for the hard work which got them the good availability.

And let's give Google credit for pro-actively extending a service credit to their users -- I commend them for that.

But the lesson for me: paying for an SLA doesn't automatically mean that you actually get better service......and you may have to do some work to get the benefit of it.

John Shoch
Alloy Ventures