Interesting People mailing list archives

Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:08:54 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: February 26, 2009 6:26:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Judge orders defendant to decrypt PGP-protected laptop

Dave,

IPers might be interested in this update to the U.S. v. Boucher case, which I wrote about today:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10172866-38.html

A federal magistrate judge in Vermont had ruled that because of the Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination, Boucher could not be legally compelled to disclose his PGP passphrase. The DOJ amended their request slightly and asked a federal district judge to force him not to disclose it, but merely to type it in.

The district judge sided with the DOJ.

Here's the original ruling:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9834495-38.html

Boucher's lawyer already has filed an appeal to the 2nd Circuit, so this could become a very important and precedential case.

-Declan

PS: Soon we'll be able to see if Obama administration taken a different position on encryption and the Fifth Amendment than the Bush administration. Don't hold your breath.