Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Wait, Wait... The Kindle Swindle?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:36:53 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Bob Frankston" <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: February 27, 2009 4:31:10 PM EST
To: <dave () farber net>, "'ip'" <ip () v2 listbox com>
Cc: "'Glenn S. Tenney'" <tenney () think org>
Subject: RE: [IP] Wait, Wait... The Kindle Swindle?

Capturing the “value chain” is indeed problematic. Or think of this as everything being negotiated – wonderful for those who think haggling over the price is more fun than actually using the products or if one is a lawyer.

Dave, as a teacher don’t you deserve a portion of the value created by your students? With modern neuroscience we should be able to implant the necessary DRM software in each student. Hmm – if you offered a discount for tuition in return for indenturing students …

[ I have suggested for years that we claim a % from our Phd's of their capital gains. So far no success djf]

Should we expect books to be licensed instead of sold? After all we seem to have developed a tradition of giving authors control to any value that flows from their work and leases wouldn’t give ownership rights.

I don't want to trivialize a real issue -- authors do need to be compensated and when a newspaper repurposes the content you can argue that they changed the terms of the original deal.

But it has a real downside as in the case of WGBH finding it had problems trying to rebroadcast “Eyes on the Prize” because it didn’t have sufficient rights to Happy Birthday (among other issues) (http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/01/16/eyes_on_the_prize_off_the_shelf/ ). It also found it was licensed for VHS but not DVD! Bits are not bits in this world. Here too I can understand that if a DVD is much better quality then they bits are indeed different.

Remember that the record industry had to fight to establish the principle that playing a record was not the same as performing sheet music. Fortunately we didn’t confuse the issue by having an automatic sheet music player as we can today (like the book reader). Would such a machine owe a royalty each time it preformed?

What brings this home to this list is the question of what one would charge per play and consequences. I’ve written that the funding model of telecom prevents us from getting the benefits of low marginal cost. What if iPod owners couldn’t buy but had a to pay for the amount of time they played each tune and what if the price varied by song, quality, volume, time of day, venue …