Interesting People mailing list archives

more on sorry Congress may try retain airliner "scissors" ban

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 12:21:17 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brendan Kehoe <brendan () zen org>
Date: December 3, 2005 10:21:15 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on sorry Congress may try retain airliner "scissors" ban

Some sharp sewing scissors
could do serious damage to people - they could scare
some people good enough to think freddy kreuger was on
the plane.

More times than I can count, I've seen (mostly) ladies sitting in their
airplane seat, relaxing not with a book or music or a movie, but instead
a nice bit of knitting.  No Swiss Cards, no scissors, no pocket knives,
but knitting needles are okay?

For the paranoid, they'd be able to get through your eye and into your
brain even easier than the now-plastic knives they give you for your
safety while dining.  But at least our in-bred fear of every object that
exists in an airplane cabin hasn't reached too much hysteria just yet.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee has a great description of this sort of thing
from the perspective of the needle-weilding terrorist and their 14"
aluminum weapons of minimal destruction:

      http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/10/03/weenies.html

My favorite part is towards the end, where you see that if she'd wanted
to, she could seemingly have socially engineered herself right into the
damn cockpit. :-)