Interesting People mailing list archives

more on sorry Congress may try retain airliner "scissors" ban

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 20:53:15 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Tien <tien () eff org>
Date: December 2, 2005 4:36:20 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on sorry Congress may try retain airliner "scissors" ban

For IP if you wish:

TSA has rightly been criticized over the past few years, but Congress deserves criticism as well. E.g., a few days ago, the Washington Post reported that

"The TSA's internal studies show that carry-on-item screeners spend half of their screening time searching for cigarette lighters, a recently banned item. . . ."

Meanwhile, CNN notes that lighters are "the only item prohibited by law. Congress, concerned that terrorists would have an easier time igniting a bomb with a lighter than with matches, enacted the ban. It took effect April 14:"

I find it difficult to believe that this is a rational policy.

Plus, I'd really like to see those "internal studies." It's good that TSA is studying what it does, but such studies about how these policies are working -- well or poorly -- should be openly published.

Lee

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/12/02/passenger.screening.ap/index.html

Begin forwarded message: