Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Nigerian Email Scammers Jailed]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 12:20:30 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Virginia Bedford <vbedford () andrew cmu edu>
Date: December 3, 2005 10:20:00 AM EST
To: Multiple recipients of list talk <talk () LAB privacy cs cmu edu>
Subject: Re: PRIVACY:: [Fwd: [IP] Nigerian Email Scammers Jailed]

Here's a real life example that I received yesterday on how people can
be affected by scammers. This example is of a generation that is likely
less proficient in use of computers, but I'm imagining ten to twenty years
down the road when we have will have folks who are computer savvy coming
down with this disease and doing all their scam responses electronically.
There won't be stacks of magazines as "evidence" of them falling for
sweepstakes bating.

This is an email from a colleague:

I'm just now getting to this request. I have been out the past couple days with a family emergency of getting xxxxx declared incompetent to manage
his finances. He has been nabbed by Canadian Lottery scammers, and has
pretty much blown his life savings. Right now, we are occupied with doing the leg-work to circulate the court-orders to all the various places that he can wire money out of the country. He has found them all, and we have physically had to prevent him from leaving his house to save what little
money he has left. He is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. I'm not
looking forward to the later stages.