Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan of somesort - Update

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 04:54:51 -0700 (PDT)

That's interesting.  The last one that I looked at
had been hacked through
IIS, using RFP's MSACD exploit - twice - in two
different months.

Well, maybe it's a matter of semantics (which is
another issue all together).  I don't see using RFP's
MSADC exploit as being "hacking", necessarily,
particularly if it's bundled in an automated fashion.

Others that I've studied were hacked
through MSSQL server, because the sa password was
either blank or easily
guessed.  One that used to get hacked constantly
(until I fixed the problem
permanently) was being hacked through the IIS
directory traversal vulnerability.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I can't see either of
these as "hacks".  Using canned or scripted exploits
to compromise machines via long-since-patched
vulnerabilities...compromising the machine, yes.
Hacking...hhhmmmm...not sure.  But again, that's just
me.

We did have an administrator who kept setting up an
anonymous upload site
and couldn't figure out how the skiddies were
finding it so fast, but in
our network that's been the exception rather than
the rule.

There you go!  ;-)