Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Trojan of somesort - Update

From: "James C Slora Jr" <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:02:04 -0400

Can you elaborate on how the box was "hacked"?  I'll admit
that I've perhaps missed one or two of the posts in this
thread...and since the SF lists aren't up to date, I can't
research those.

What information did Bob provide to indicate a "hack"?

From BtB's original post

I am currently doing an investigation into a compromised system. Before
pulling the plug I netcatted to a suspicous open port and received the
following banner:
         220 SiGN - FR33-FXP3rs - On Da FUcKiNG C@S£!!!

- suspicious open port (not normal FTP port for that system)
- FXP FTP server banner on that port

I don't know of a way to make these happen without abusing the system from
the inside or compromising it from the outside.