Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan of somesort - Update

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

Paul,

This is not surprising.  It's been my experience
that boxes that get
"tagged" (i.e. set up as ftp sites for warez) get
hacked by automated
scripts and later get filled up with warez.

While it's true that the "tagged" FTP sites were
filled w/ warez, my own investigations into these
events showed quite clearly that not a single site was
"hacked".  Rather, the automated script would look for
FTP sites that allowed an anonymous user to write to
the drive (check was done using "mkdir" command).  As
the script was automated, it simply rm'd the directory
it created (if successful) and recorded the IP address
for later use.

Again, by simply reviewing the logs, it was easy to
see that none of the sites was "hacked".