Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan of somesort - Update

From: Pho Man <ph0k1n () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:25:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

For what's it's worth, I too have found that ports are
largely random, but every once in a while, I catch a
machine that has a well-known bad port open.  I found
31337 running on a certain machine once just a couple
months ago.

However, with ServU-FTP stuff, it's almost always
random, so as Paul Schmehl suggested, we monitor
traffic using NTop on a Linux box, and that catches
machines with suspicious activity fairly well.

I still like to scan the network using X-scan (since
it's fairly fast) just to be sure.  But that's just
me.  :)

Anyhow, I too have found machines that were hacked by
warez hackers, but had yet to store any files.
Usually  it seems that the machine takes almost a week
or two for files to get uploaded to it.  If we catch
machines fairly early, then they have the tools (ServU
or IOftpd) running, but are otherwise empty.

Must be quite a successful franchise, or otherwise
hackers wouldn't hack so many machines at once.  :p

--The Pho Man

--- Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:
--On Thursday, May 27, 2004 02:58:56 PM +0000 Bob
the Builder
<builder173 () hotmail com> wrote:

Other than the ServU files and some sort of crude
looking port scanner so
far I haven't been able to find anything else.

This is not surprising.  It's been my experience
that boxes that get
"tagged" (i.e. set up as ftp sites for warez) get
hacked by automated
scripts and later get filled up with warez.  It
appears that the skiddies
are running automated hacking scripts that "phone
home" when a box is
setup, but they apparently have so many of them that
they don't always get
to new ones right away.  So there's a window when
the box is hacked but not
yet being used as a repository.

Does anyone know of a
program that can be used to scan for trojans
offline, as I now of the
machines disk loaded into my forensics system. I
want to find out what
other ports I need to be suspicous of so that I
can scan the rest of the
network for them to see if anything else looks
compromised.

Good luck scanning for ports.  The ports they use
are completely arbitrary
and infinitely changeable.  You'd have better luck
looking at traffic
patterns and investigating boxes that suddenly show
unusually high levels
of traffic.  The only port that I think is really
worth scanning is irc
(6667/TCP) because that can indicate a worm
infection.  I've even seen
tagged boxes using port 21 as a remote shell.  Your
port scanner is simply
going to tell you someone has ftp enabled.

I have port scanned *known* tagged boxes and found
nothing to raise
suspicions.  These guys aren't stupid.  They're
going to try and make the
box look as normal as possible.  Some of them even
moderate downloads and
uploads to try and stay under the radar and not
raise suspicion due to
unusual traffic patterns.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer