Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: lifestages on IRC

From: bonk () WEBCHAT CHATSYSTEMS COM (T. H. Haymore)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:27:59 -0500

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Omicron N wrote:

hi
      I was on IRC ( on Win 2000) when i received a mesg window asking
for permission to transfer the file LIFE_STAGES.TXT, I naturally said
no. But when i saw the message in the Server connection window, the name
was LIFE_STAGES.SHS. Now the threat from a virus/worm remains remote if
the user is alert. But what i want to know is if it is possible to fool
the user into clicking the wrong button and making him execute the file.

Assuming you were using mIRC, when one sends you something via DCC, their
real IP shows.  I have never heard of that being 'spoofable'.

[11:16] -l33td00d- DCC Send lamer.txt (123.123.123.100) <--Ip of sending
machine/client.

It bothers me to see that you're being sent a file that indicates it's one
thing and it's really something else.  Although the IP of the sender
shows, the real name of the file should show as well.  Was it a ctcp
command you observed initially ?  (ie /ctcp LIFE_STAGES.TXT) or a notice ?
Was it a GUI popup that displayed it ?  If it's a txt file that's showing
as being sent and it's not, that's a problem the IRC Admins need to be
aware of to include the maker of the client.

      Is it possible to spoof the ip address given by the irc client to
the IRC server ? Actually, i'm new to IRC and don't know anything about
this.  This "offer" of file happened twice , so i've started using irc on
linux only. Also What can i do to track the guy who was doing me this
"favor" ?

To find the user, find an IRC Operator to have them look for the user
provided you're on a network such as Undernet or DALNet that has IRCU to
support such a command.  EFNet doesn't.

Cheers
Cheedu

 --
*******
Sridhar       (cheedu)  || mail: cheedu () grex org

Smile.. Tomorrow will be worse
--

Travis
AKA BONK