Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: tin.it and others non collaborative isps.

From: bejtlich () ALTAVISTA NET (Richard Bejtlich)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:24:22 -0000

Hello Osvaldo,

I believe that blocking ISPs should be a short-term
defensive step, usually taken if the offending host finds a
vulnerability on your network.  Blocking MAY give you
enough time to correct the vulnerability, if you have 24x7
real time monitoring and can fix the problem before the
black-hat exploits it.

On another level, blocking in response to any perceived
malicious activity must be weighed against other factors.
Determined black-hats laugh at blocking, as they maintain
multiple compromised hosts as staging points.  Also, one
can trivially conduct a decoy attack, causing you to block
traffic from completely innocent sites.

For these reasons and more, I could not support an
IP "black list."  I do believe sites which advertise "smurf
amplifying networks" are useful, as their scope is limited
and the accuracy easily verifiable.

Richard Bejtlich

--

        IMHO it's a good idea if we unite and block ips
from ISP's like

--

 Osvaldo Janeri Filho