Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg () umich edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 17:26:47 -0400 (EDT)

I guess the first question to ask is, what is the purpose of this
definition?  How will the definition itself be used?

A lot of the definitions counter-proposed on this list so far have
described in more detail how honeypots are normally used CURRENTLY.  This
may be more enlightening to someone who just wants a quick, consise answer
to his question.  These are the kinds of answers I'd give my boss if I was
trying to convince him to set up a honeypot.

The options given, however, is very abstract.  They doesn't immediately
tell you what their value is, but it leaves open all kinds of
possibilities;  although they usually have to be followed up with a couple
of examples.  It makes the person hearing the definition do some thinking.
For people interested in synthesis, or trying to come up with new ideas,
something like these is probably better.

In #1, the defining value is that it's "designed to be probed, attacked,
or compromised."  In #2, the defining value is that they're designed to
monitor "unauthorized users".

Both of them are more abstract and designed to be broad and predictive,
rather than descriptive; and I think for making you think more
outside-the-box, #1 is more useful.  Saying "they're designed to monitor
unauthorized users" makes me think about how to monitor behavior, which I
think is pretty well understood and won't generate many new ideas.  Saying
"they're designed to be probed, attacked, or compromised" makes me think
about all the different ways I could use a machine that was probed,
attacked or compromised; it makes me think backwards, and is likely to be
more fruitful in generating novel ideas.

Or look at it this way: do you want people to focus on using the probes,
attacks, and compromises of honeypots to their advantage, or do you want
people to focus on how to monitor "unauthorized" activity well?

So, that's my $0.02. As for me, I vote for #1.  (Unless, of course, your
audience is not people innovating honeypots but on practical people
looking at existing uses of honeypots; in that case, you'd better make a
more informative answer than either of these two.)

 -George

<grammarnazi> P.S., it should be "whose", not "who's" in the first
definition. </grammarnazi> ;)